Hall Park Academy SEND Information Report - September 2016

What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?

Hall Park Academy is able to effectively meet the needs of pupils with autistic spectrum conditions; emotional and social needs; specific learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyspraxia, and dyscalculia); moderate learning difficulties.

The needs of pupils with mild to moderate sensory needs (partially-sighted, hard of hearing) may also be accommodated.  Most areas of school are easily accessible for wheelchair users.

(Updated 2016)  Hall Park Academy can also support pupils whose first language is not English – we have a qualified teaching assistant to lead on this area who hold the TEFAL qualification.


(For mainstream schools & maintained nurseries only) How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

Pupils undertake CAT tests and reading tests on entry and these are updated annually to identify pupils working below national expectations.  Pupils are also regularly assessed by subject teachers and data is closely monitored. 

(Updated Sept 16) - All Year 7 pupils will be given an additional reading assessment and follow the Accelerated Reader scheme using a reading book that is appropriate for their ability.

If you think that your child may have special educational needs or are concerned about your child’s progress then you should speak to your child’s tutor in the first instance.  If you continue to be concerned you may contact the school’s SENCO (special educational needs co-ordinator).

How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

The progress of all pupils is updated and monitored throughout the year by the classroom teacher.  In addition, the school’s SENCO is responsible for monitoring the progress of pupils on the SEND register and arranging additional support / advising on effective strategies where necessary.


How will both the school/setting and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will the school/setting help me to support their learning?

Pupils with a statement of special educational need or EHCP will be invited to attend an annual review meeting to discuss their child’s progress.  All pupils on the SEND register will be monitored throughout the year and parents/guardians contacted if concerns are raised.

What is the school’s approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

The needs of pupils with special educational needs are met within the classroom and the classroom teacher is responsible for effectively differentiating tasks to meet the needs of all pupils.  Some pupils will be allocated additional TA support to ensure that they make adequate progress.   

How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child/young person’s needs?

All teachers are teachers of SEN and are responsible for adapting the curriculum to meet the needs of pupils within their classes.  Classroom teachers are updated regularly on the needs of pupils by the school’s SENCO and supported as necessary.

(Updated for 2016) If pupils are significantly behind in KS3 – there is a nurture group where the key focus is developing independence, reading and confidence.


How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

Decisions about support are usually made by the school’s SENCO in conjunction with the views / wishes of parents. Decisions are based on information from the primary school, initial tests to determine academic ability and individual needs.

Hall Park Academy’s SENCO works closely with the feeder primary schools – pupils with complex needs should be known to the SENCO before they arrive.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

All out of school activities/school trips will be fully supported by the SEND team.  TAs will be allocated according to need to accompany pupils on such activities as necessary.

(Updated 2016) – Hall Park Academy’s SENCO works closely with the feeder primary schools – pupils with complex needs should be known to the SENCO before they arrive.


What support will there be for my child/young person’s overall well-being? 

We have a dedicated SEND team enabling the school to provide a ‘safe haven’ during break and lunchtimes; a clear anti-bullying and behaviour policy; an inclusion team to provide mentoring and behaviour support where necessary; a thorough pastoral care system which uses a vertical tutor structure; a robust child protection system and access to outside support as necessary.

(For mainstream schools and maintained nurseries) Who is the school/setting’s special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details.

Special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) – Mrs Teresa Pendleton

Email:  pendletont@hallparkacademy.org.uk Tel:  01773 786212

What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

We have a team of experienced teaching assistants and  an assistant SENCO.


(Updated 2016)  CPD/training  has recently taken place in supporting pupils with Down Syndrome, using ipads to access the curriculum, MAKATON signing and improving reading skills.


What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school? 

There is a small nurture group for pupils who have below average reading skills on entry which is led by a qualified English teacher. (Updated 2016)


We have a regular attendance officer, a TA with maths specialism and can offer dyslexia testing.  Additionally, we have a qualified ASDAN teacher to deliver and assess those pupils following a foundation curriculum. 

How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs secured? How accessible is the school/setting?

There are designated learning areas for pupils with SEN which are equipped with computers. Equipment for particular or complex needs are considered and catered for on an individual basis. We have designated disabled parking areas, and most parts of the school are accessible for wheelchair users.  There are disabled toilet facilities.

What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child/young person?

If your child is identified as not making adequate or expected progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail.  The purpose of the meeting will be to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referral to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.

Pupils with an EHCP will have an annual review meeting to enable parents and pupils to express their views about the nature and level of support given, progress made and to set targets for future progress.

What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

All pupils on the SEND register will have a meeting with the school’s SENCO at least annually to discuss their needs/support given.  Each pupil has a pupil profile which is written with the pupil.  Pupil view are included in this along with support strategies.  

In addition to this, we have a thorough pastoral system to support pupils with all aspects of their education.  All pupils are allocated a tutor – for pupils with SEN – the SENCO will liaise with tutors to inform them of individual circumstances.  Tutors speak to pupils with SEN individually on a weekly basis and pass information to the SENCO as required.   The tutor should be the first port of call for all pupils and information is shared with key professionals in school as necessary.

What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school/setting?

The school’s SENCO, tutors and class teachers are regularly available to discuss any concerns, worries or complaints. We are committed to working together with parents/guardians and pupils and value parental feedback and/or guidance to help pupil progress and wellbeing.

How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority support services and voluntary organisations) in the meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

The governing body involve other organisations and services in meeting the needs of SEN students through close communication and dialogue with the schools SLT link. The SLT link meets at least annually with the link governor to discuss any issues.

How does the school/setting seek to signpost organisations, services etc who can provide additional support to parents/carers/young people?

At Hall Park Academy we strive to find ways to support parents/guardians in and out of school and investigate local organisations and seek support and guidance from outside support where appropriate.  The SEN team are available to discuss support available for your child.

How will the school/setting prepare my child/young person to: Join the school/setting, transfer between phases of education (e.g. early years to primary, primary to secondary etc) and prepare for adulthood and independent living?

The school’s transition team will visit the local feeder primary schools in advance of pupils joining the school (from year 5).  We have an open evening in the first term of each year and parents are encouraged to attend.  Pupils with SEND will be given extra visits to the school prior to joining and parents are welcome to visit and discuss any individual needs and concerns in detail with the school’s SENCO.  All information from primary school will be passed to the school’s SENCO in good time so that arrangements are put in place – this information will be shared with teaching staff at the beginning of the school year. All pupils will have an opportunity to undertake a work-experience placement in year 10 and will receive career guidance and information about local colleges.

(Updated 2016) – Pupils with complex or significant needs can be supported by a member of the SEN team in finding work experience placements – this could include pre-visits and practice routes.

Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) and parental/carer awareness 

The Nottinghamshire Safeguarding Children Board has decided to write directly to all parents and carers, of secondary aged children within the County, via their secondary schools and academies. I wish to alert you to a free on-line learning course which has been designed specifically for parents and carers by a national charity called Parents against Child Sexual Exploitation (PACE) .

I would encourage you to complete their short introduction to the issue. To access this course, you can go to their website http://www.paceuk.info/the-problem/keep-them-safe/ and follow the simple registration process.

If you are concerned that your child is at risk of being sexually exploited then you can contact Children’s Social Care at the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0300 500 80 80.

Where can I access further information?

Our SEND policy can be found on the school’s website.  Any further information can be obtained by contacting the school to discuss individual circumstances/needs and to arrange a meeting or visit if required.

  • The school’s SENCO, tutors and class teachers are regularly available to discuss any concerns, worries or complaints.

    We are committed to working together with parents/guardians and pupils and value parental feedback and/or guidance to help pupil progress and wellbeing.